Every city is different and it has its own uniqueness and beauty, but a few cities are authentic treasures that you should visit at least once in your life. Istanbul is definitely one of them. Being the largest city in Turkey, Istanbul is a powerful historic, cultural, economic and religious center.
This fabulous city displays an impressive architecture with imposing buildings and monuments. You will be delighted by the lovely combination between its architectural style, the abundance of green areas and the amazing opening to the sea. Every season is perfect to create beautiful memories in this stunning city. I advise you to choose spring or early summer to visit this city, in order to enjoy its greatness which is portrayed by the beauty of all those green spaces decorated with a lot of blooming flowers. Did you know that the tulip is the symbol of Istanbul? It will be an incredible experience to admire this city embellished with tulips.
Turkey’s heart, as it is called, is the perfect place if you want to relax in a hospitable and friendly city, to explore a new city, to spend pleasant moments at the seaside, to try a special cruise, to shop or to discover the Muslim culture. It is amazing how many things you can do in this city! I could say that a piece of my heart is still there. If you have never thought of visiting Istanbul, believe me there are a lot of reasons you should do it. Here are a few reasons which in my opinion are the most meaningful and compelling:
1. The Blue Mosque or Sultan Ahmet’s Mosque is one of the most significant tourist attractions in Istanbul. This magnificent mosque has a fabulous interior, specially designed with blue tiles. This is the reason why it was also called the Blue Mosque.
2. The Hagia Sophia is an imposing monument whose beauty is displayed by the unique combination between the influences of the Byzantine Empire and the Ottoman Empire. Its greatness is given by the blend between these two different cultures and by the fact that it was firstly a church and then a mosque.
3. The Topkapi Palace is an impressive museum which hides exceptionally designed rooms, beautiful gardens and an exhibition of different collections such as: the porcelain collection, the weapons collection, the art objects collection, the costumes collection, the jewelry collection, the clocks collection, the paintings collection and many other types of collections. This amazing palace is the largest and the oldest palace in the world.
4. The Basilica Cistern is a spectacular covered cistern which was built to supply water for the nearby palaces. The interior architecture is incredibly beautiful due to the illuminated columns which create a very special atmosphere.
5. The Galata Tower, one of the highest and the oldest towers in Istanbul, is the perfect place in case you want a great view of the old city.
6. The Dolmabahce Palace, one of the most stunning palaces in the world, is defined by opulence, luxury and greatness. Its beauty is given by an imposing architecture which is thrown out into relief by style, elegance and refinement.
7. The Taksim Square is a beautiful place where you can admire: the Independence Monument, the Ataturk Cultural Center, the Galatasaray Square, the Flower Courtyard, St. Antoine Church, Santa Maria Church, the Armenian Churches and other interesting places.
8. The Ortakoy Mosque is a symbol of the Baroque architecture and one of the most famous and beautiful places on the Bosphorus. Its location is ideal to admire the wonderful landscapes on the Bosphorus.
9. The largest mosque in Istanbul, the Suleymaniye Mosque, is in my opinion the most beautiful and impressive. It is a delight to admire its fabulous interior design which displays an abundance of colors, shapes and effects.
10. A cruise on the Bosphorus is a great experience which gives you the opportunity to travel between two continents. Istanbul is the only city in the world that lies on two continents: Europe and Asia.
12. The Yeni Mosque or the New Mosque is also a beautiful mosque with outstanding decorations, located near the sea. It is an exceptional place where you can take amazing pictures especially at night, because the Yeni Mosque is decorated with a lot of lights.
13. The Turkish Bazaars will offer you an unforgettable shopping experience. The most important are the Grand Bazaar and the Egyptian Bazaar. You will have the chance to buy quality stuff at very good prices.
14. The Turkish Cuisine is diversified and it is based on vegetables, meat and different types of sauces and desserts. The Turks have the best kebap and walnut pie.
I could go on talking about the beauty of this city and about why you should visit it, but the best way to actually understand what I am talking about is to discover Istanbul yourself.